The Invitation: “Tell the women they can live in perfect peace,” I sensed the Lord saying when I asked what to share at a women’s event.
“How is that possible?” I questioned, not wanting to speak words I didn’t always live out.
“By living life backwards.”
Not knowing what that meant, I prayed, “Lord, tell me more.”
I sensed the Holy Spirit taking me on a life journey in my imagination. But it didn’t start with my childhood. It began by viewing myself living in the fullness of the promises of God that will be mine in heaven. I sensed total joy, contentment, and peace. Then I saw my current life circumstances through the lens of what is coming, and I realized how that changes my view of things now. Living life backwards made sense.
Practically, if I’m worried about having enough finances, I remember the streets in heaven are paved with gold. If I am worried about health issues or death, I remember He is our Healer and has already overcome death. As I practiced this way of thinking, I couldn’t find anything to worry about that God has not promised to restore and make new.
Let’s give it a try. Take a few minutes and imagine:
- You know you’re going to come into great wealth and it will cover every need you can imagine. There is nothing you lack to live comfortably, with more than enough to share with others.
- Your health is completely restored and you have ample energy, wisdom, and time for everything you need to do.
- You are with those you love without worry of loss or separation.
- There is internal and external peace and harmony in every area of your life.
- This is your destiny. This is your destination. This is heaven. Imagine what it’s like.
- Now look at a current situation in your life with this mindset.
- Ask the Lord for His perspective. What have you been missing? What is the Lord’s heart? What does He have in store down the road?
What did God show you when you looked at life backwards? When I imagine life from this viewpoint, I think, What am I so afraid of? The Lord is making provision for everything. He’s got this!
It can be a challenge to believe the promises of God, but they are there. They are real and they are available today. Imagine the peace-of-mind you would have if you actively trusted God to deliver on His promises.
You will keep in perfect and constant peace the one whose mind is steadfast [that is, committed and focused on You—in both inclination and character], Because he trusts and takes refuge in You
[with hope and confident expectation].
–Isaiah 26:3 (AMP)
Your Response: Lord, what would it look like for me to trust and take refuge in You today, full of hope and a joyful expectation of good? Show me one way I can live my life backwards.